A fundraising assistance call for blue economy solutions
A new call of the Blue Invest initiative has been launched with the aim to support, through a fundraising assistance training, equity rounds closures for 20 European start-ups that offer innovative blue economy solutions.
According to the World Bank, the blue economy is the "sustainable use of ocean resources for economic growth, improved livelihoods, and jobs while preserving the health of the ocean ecosystem." The European Commission defines it as "All economic activities related to oceans, seas and coasts.
In Commission's eyes, the approach to a sustainable blue economy in the EU will contribute to climate change mitigation by using offshore renewable energy and decarbonizing maritime transport; favouring circular economy in fishing and ship construction sectors; developing infrastructures with 0 impacts on the environment in order to preserve biodiversity and landscapes.
How does it work?
Successful applicants will receive 20 days of one-to-one advisory services, and will be coached to identify and connect with relevant investors, bullet-proof their investment dossier and master their pitch.
Depending on the needs and maturity of beneficiaries, the key topics to be covered include:
- Assessing the type of finance needed;
- Owning the investor landscape and understanding the investor’s perspective;
- Mastering the fundraising journey (from financial model to financial ask);
- Preparing a sound data room for investors;
- The art of the pitch (venture storytelling about challenge, solution, market sizing, go-to-market, next steps and team, backed by credible numbers);
- Negotiating deals and preparing a solid dossier for due diligence.
As part of the fundraising assistance, all companies will also have the opportunity to join mock-up sessions with the BlueInvest team and a collective simulation-based workshop to prepare for their one-to-one pitches to investors.
Who can apply?
The companies which are interested to apply must follow these criteria:
- Based in a EU Member State;
- Proposing a sustainable solution in the blue economy sector;
- Having a clear fundraising strategy supported by relevant investor documentation (such as an investment dossier, financial information, pitch deck, proof of concept);
- Having a fundraising experience with proofs of previous outcomes;
- Having an existing capital structure, type of finance needed, financial performance and growth projections.
Application form and deadline
Applications can be sent to the BlueInvest Community platform. The current application deadline is fixed for the 7th of October 2022.